- "Hey, it's your choice. You either grow some balls or wait for Prince Charming to come save you. I choose to grow a pair. How about you?"
- ―Zadkiel to Yup about his bullies
Zadkiel, also known by her male alias Zack, is the archangel of mercy and freedom. Zadkiel frequently switches back and forth between male and female forms simply out of preference for a male's appearance. Zadkiel's main mission is to unleash Hell on Earth and let its souls run free.
Zadkiel has purple eyes and tanned skin. She has long, light brown hair and scrappy bangs, along with two braids on each side going to the back of her head. She has two slits in her left eyebrow and one slit in her right. She has a lip ring in the center of her bottom lip, where she is often seen wearing a pink colored lipstick. She wears a gold ring on her pinky, middle, and ring fingers on each hand. She has lower back dermal piercings.
While Zadkiel was in Heaven, she wore a purple archangel robe going down to her mid-thighs and brown gladiator sandals. She also wore gold eyeliner on the bottom rim of her eyes with vertical lines in the center pointing downward. She wore ear cuffs on the top and bottom of each ear with a chain connecting the two cuffs. As a fallen angel on Earth, Zadkiel's usual fashion of dress is casual and she rarely wears any color besides purple.
Zadkiel's masculine form shares several features with her feminine form, the only differences between the two being their hair lengths, face shapes, and overall body structure. They both have a relatively muscular body and stand at 5'10".
Zadkiel is somewhat two-faced. Other angels in Heaven, including her family, considered her a caring and pleasant person to be around before she wounded Raphael and Michael and fell. Despite Zadkiel being the archangel known for mercy and forgiveness, her soul is completely black, the most evil, cold, and malicious a soul can be. However, her decisions are often justified in that they are done out of mercy. Because Zadkiel was the puppet master of the mix-up at the feminine hygiene plant, which led to Natalie McAllister summoning Satan, she can be considered merciful for saving Lucifer from Heaven's wrath during the End of Days. At the same time, Zadkiel shows a flaw in character when she uses mercy to defend her violence, as seen when she gives Yup "mercy" by beating up his bullies. It is up to interpretation whether Zadkiel is genuinely a merciful person or if she just uses the term "mercy" to justify her violent self-indulgence.
Zadkiel disapproves of Heaven’s views on right and wrong and considers its angels to be small-minded. She does not agree with a lot of its teachings, either.
Zadkiel's tendency to find thrill in chaos can be considered sadistic, or even sociopathic. She starts fights in bars out of sheer boredom and even goes so far as to transform into her masculine form in public for a quick rush of adrenaline. Contrary to popular belief, Zadkiel is not completely heartless, having been in a healthy relationship with Uriel. She also felt hesitant to stab Raphael before she fell, but she felt it was necessary in order to escape the corner she had been backed into.
Despite being borderline masochistic, Zadkiel is calm and collected most of the time. Pax Madan claims that he has never seen her surprised, even while he was in her troop in Heaven. Her composed nature can also be seen when Titus Alwright flings a spike towards her, only to have her calmly dodge it with a poker face.
Zadkiel always felt forced into her position as an archangel. Part of Zadkiel felt that God had given her little say in her future, having decided her position for her and ignored her concerns pertaining to her role as a leader. Zadkiel was never quite interested in the idea of leadership, nor did she feel like she had the knowledge or experience to properly do her job. It was not until she met Uriel that she gained confidence as a leader. Her squad soon became notorious for taking on tough jobs and having a low mortality rate.
Zadkiel was Heaven's second-in-command under Michael. When Lucifer fell, she was secretly excited, but acted outwardly shocked in order to fit in with the other archangels. She considered Lucifer a breath of fresh air because he could be who he wanted to be without hesitation, contrary to Heaven's nature. At one point she wanted to fall with him, but backed out of her plan because it would have caused a huge unnecessary uproar.
Zadkiel stands outside of a feminine hygiene plant. Felix and Anthea are also outside of the plant, investigating the source of the maxi pad that tied Lucifer to Natalie McAllister. Zadkiel calls the two over from behind and Felix figures that it was Zadkiel who bound Satan and Natalie together. Felix makes it abundantly clear that he disapproves of Zadkiel doing this, to which she defends her point, saying that she did it to protect Satan from Michael in the End of Days. She warns Felix to not become a problem for her and dismisses the two demons. Uriel then comes in from behind Zadkiel, asking why she is there.
After a car runs over Natalie's gift for Satan, Zadkiel introduces herself as "Zack" in a masculine form and buys her a new shirt. Natalie proceeds to bring Zadkiel home and Satan instantly recognizes her despite her "Zack" disguise. Satan asks Zadkiel why she is there when he specifically told the archangels to stay out of his business, to which Zadkiel replies that she got him a gift. As a peace offering to Satan for binding him to Natalie, Zadkiel reveals that she put Michael's summoning sigils on a maxi pad. Archangel Michael soon shows up at Natalie's door with Kristi Lange to yell at Lucifer. Satan is amused by Zadkiel's gift and he laughs as Michael threatens to snap his neck.
After Michael and Kristi leave, Zadkiel makes no effort to hide her identity or lie about her motives. She addresses "Stan" as Lucifer and calls Natalie naive and embarrassing for not figuring out her identity sooner. Despite Zadkiel verbally jabbing her, Natalie genuinely thanks her for binding her to Satan and finds it funny that she put his summoning sigils on a maxi pad.
Uriel, Zadkiel's partner, suspects that she is the one responsible for binding Michael to a human. He bases his suspicions on seeing her outside of the maxi pad factory with Anthea and Felix, as well as her strange behavior as of late. After interrogating Anthea with Gabriel and having her confirm that she did indeed see Zadkiel at the warehouse, Uriel informs Raphael of Zadkiel's antics and encourages him to take a look at her soul with his all-seeing eyes.
Following Uriel's request, Raphael calls Zadkiel to a temple and notes that Zadkiel has never made eye contact with him. Zadkiel finally makes eye contact with Raphael, revealing her black and corrupted soul, before stabbing him while he is off guard. While he is on the ground, she reveals that she poisoned him with her blood. Zadkiel's merciful side plays a role when she promises not to elongate Raphael's death and cuts her hand to drip more blood into his stab wound. After about an hour, Uriel finds Raphael with purple veins and bruises scattered all over his body. Uriel is kept under surveillance to ensure that he was not working with Zadkiel. Michael says he will give Zadkiel "treatment ala Lucifer", meaning he will kick her out of Heaven like he did with Satan.
Zadkiel examines the cut on her hand, now festering with blue veins from Raphael, before seeing Michael approach her. He tries to punch Zadkiel, but she dodges it, prompting Michael to take out his torch. Zadkiel slashes his left side with one of her hidden knives and tries to lunge at him again. Michael kicks her away and knocks her down, causing her to cough up blood. After Michael grabs her by the collar and challenges her, Zadkiel spits blood onto his mouth and stabs herself. She rips the bloody cloth off of her stab wound and presses it onto the slash on Michael's side, poisoning him. She then officially resigns from her position and tosses him the "gaudy" archangel flower from her robe. She leaves Michael with the fact that she made all of her decisions alone, ultimately clearing Uriel's name.
Zadkiel and Satan later meet again through Natalie. Zadkiel confidently tells Satan that there is no need to thank her for leaving Heaven in a disarray, which backfires when Satan physically knocks her down. Satan threatens her to stop assuming she knows what everyone wants and to stay out of his business, to which Zadkiel agrees. This moment ruins Zadkiel's image of Satan and makes her harbor ill will towards him from now on.
After Ipos Kabakoff dies, courtesy of Uriel, Zadkiel lurks into his house and gets ahold of his book, famous among demons for its information and research. A certain page outlining Hell's release piques her interest and she contemplates unleashing Hell on Earth to retaliate against Satan for being cold to her, since it would take away any meaning his life had. She then introduces herself to Natalie in her feminine form. Anthea Rosenfeld sees them talking to each other and she later warns Satan about Zadkiel. This warning makes Satan order Pax Madan to follow Zadkiel and get Ipos' book back. Felix accompanies Pax on his journey to find Zadkiel, since he believes she killed Anthea and wants to get revenge.
Titus Alwright and Zadkiel later meet in an alleyway. Zadkiel informs Titus that she knows he is a descendant of Cain, thanks to Ipos' book, before bringing up Uriel's disappearance. She threatens to beat him or even kill him if she finds out that he is keeping Uriel captive.
After being kicked out of a local bar for starting a fight, Zadkiel encounters Noah Sprits outside. He offers her a place to stay for the night, a spot under an overpass, when he notices that she has been hurt. The two begin to bond and Zadkiel coins the name "Yup" for the boy, since she thinks the name Noah Sprits is ugly. She notices scars on his neck going down to his chest, which are the work of two bullies who abuse him on a regular basis. After Zadkiel threatens and beats the two bullies, Yup begins to cling onto her and refuses to leave her when she tries to drop him off at his spot.
- Archangel Uriel - The two were in a romantic relationship before Zadkiel paralyzed Raphael and fell. Zadkiel was initially drawn to Uriel because his bad circumstances made her feel better about her own. Uriel's guilt of blinding his soldiers made Zadkiel’s problems feel less significant, which is how she overcame her insecurities. Despite Zadkiel leaving Heaven and her communication with Uriel ceasing, she still cares about him. This can be seen when she threatens Titus in an alleyway over the possibility of him holding Uriel hostage.
- Noah "Yup" Sprits - Zadkiel serves as a parental figure for Yup, giving him haircuts and defending him against his bullies. Zadkiel realizes that she underestimated how much he would become attached to her. In this way, she ends up with an unwanted tagalong on her journey to unleash Hell on Earth. They nevertheless find solace in each other's company.
- Lucifer - Zadkiel used to greatly admire Lucifer, beginning as early as when humans were first put on Earth. After Lucifer used the humans to create chaos, Zadkiel began to look up to him for his bravery in expressing his advocacy of free will. However, when Lucifer shows obvious disinterest in Zadkiel's plans, her admiration for him is quickly replaced with disdain, since she thought he would appreciate her faith in him more.
- Natalie McAllister - Zadkiel pretends to be friends with Natalie and masquerades as "Zack", an everyday male citizen, in order to get closer to Lucifer on Earth. Zadkiel strongly dislikes her for her obliviousness and perkiness. She even goes as far as to have Natalie's caller ID show up as "Brat" on her phone. Whatever motives she may have for Natalie, they are all ulterior.
- Zadkiel cannot curl her hair. The curls fall out within an hour every time she tries to curl it.
- Before they started dating, Zadkiel kept a painting of Uriel hidden in her bedroom. She would use it to practice asking him out, but she would get too nervous and back out of it.
- Zadkiel often exercises to clear her mind and "take the edge off" in times of stress.
- Zadkiel is the last out of the original archangels to be created.
Notes and References Edit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Unleash Hell on Earth
- ↑ http://thisiskindagross.tumblr.com/post/155509406246/satan-and-me-asks (#20)
- ↑ http://thisiskindagross.tumblr.com/post/99109106331/51-bulk-answered-asks (#22)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Look Me in the Eyes
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 You Can Have These Back pt.2
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 Archangel Zadkiel
- ↑ Prologue
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 This Ain't Sesame Street
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 http://thisiskindagross.tumblr.com/post/99109106331/51-bulk-answered-asks (#51)
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Not a Girl Here to Hit
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 11.4 Zadkiel's Creation
- ↑ A Horseman Kind of Thing
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 This Angel is My Business
- ↑ http://thisiskindagross.tumblr.com/post/155509406246/satan-and-me-asks (#9)
- ↑ http://thisiskindagross.tumblr.com/post/99109106331/51-bulk-answered-asks (#5)
- ↑ I've Done Something Naughty
- ↑ My New Guardian Angel
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 I Don't Like That Word
- ↑ Her Silence is Proof Enough
- ↑ I Owe You a Lot
- ↑ Treatment ala Lucifer
- ↑ You Can Have these Back pt.1
- ↑ 23.0 23.1 I Was an Angel
- ↑ God Have Mercy on Me
- ↑ Ms. Scarlett Fever
- ↑ More Interesting Reunion
- ↑ What Scares You?
- ↑ 28.0 28.1 Prince Charming
- ↑ Are You Free this Weekend?
- ↑ https://orangesamthoughts.tumblr.com/post/152358642946/fun-fact-the-archangels-satan-uriel-loves-puns
- ↑ 31.0 31.1 https://orangesamthoughts.tumblr.com/post/156945616506/is-it-possible-we-could-get-more-fun-facts-about
- ↑ http://68.media.tumblr.com/746bc5010d36cb4de59ee4e8bda6cbce/tumblr_inline_o9m6hhGPDp1rqfb5i_250.jpg